As a research initiative, DEED is also an umbrella project for faculty to investigate their own areas of scholarship and research relating to design, development, entrepreneurship, and empowerment. The following are publications that discuss aspects of the DEED work:
- Lawson, Cynthia. 2010. The New School Collaborates: Organization and Communication in Immersive International Field Programs with Artisan Communities. Visible Language 44(2): 239-265.
- Lawson, Cynthia. 2010. ‘Designed By’ vs. ‘Made By’: Two Approaches to Design and Social Entrepreneurship. Journal of Design Strategies 4(1): 34-40. (PDF of Journal available online at http://www.newschool.edu/WorkArea/linkit.aspx?LinkIdentifier=id&ItemID=52655)
- Lawson, Cynthia. 2009. The New School Collaborates: Teaching and Learning Design and Social Responsibility in Immersive International Field Programs. Proceedings from MX Design Conference 2009 Impacto Social del Diseño. 84-7 (PDF of Proceedings available online at http://www.dis.uia.mx/conference/2009/articulos/LibroMX09.pdf)
Presentations and workshops
- Lawson, Cynthia. 2012. DEED: Artisan Collaborations through Design and Empowerment. Keynote presentation at Global Fashion Conference, Madrid, Spain, November 15.
- Lawson, Cynthia. 2012. Diseño e innovación social: oportunidades desde la academia. Presentation at Dinova – Congreso Internacional de Diseño e Innovación, Bogotá, Colombia, October 23.
- Berdiel, Fabiola and Lawson, Cynthia. 2012. Diseño, Innovación, y Artesanías sin Fronteras: el caso de DEED. Presentation at Universidad Autónoma de Manizales, Manizales, Colombia, June 1.
- Lawson, Cynthia. 2011. DEED: A Case Study for Meaningful and Socially-Engaged Design Education. Presentation at Cumulus Paris 2011 Conference, Paris-Sévres, May 20.
- Berdiel, Fabiola, Joos, Kristin, Kahane, Michele, and Lawson, Cynthia. 2011. Social Innovation with Communities: Integrating Social Entrepreneurship, Service Learning, and Civic Engagement. Presentation and workshop presented at the Ashoka U Exchange Conference at Duke University, Durham, N.C., February 26.
- Berdiel, Fabiola and Lawson, Cynthia. 2010. Designing Collaborative Development: Lessons from interdisciplinary teaching and learning. Paper presented at the Rennselaer’s 2nd Biennial Design Web Conference Global Interaction in Design Education (GLIDE ’10), October 27, online. Watch video of the presentation at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrmsT5Ost0s
- Berdiel, Fabiola and Lawson, Cynthia. 2010. DEED & Design Prototyping. Presentation and workshop at EVOKE Summit at the World Bank in Washington, D.C.
- Lawson, Cynthia. 2008. The New School, CARE & Ajkemá Loyá: A case study in learning in intensive and immersive global programs and in cross-cultural and bilingual collaborative work. Paper presented at the Rennselaer’s 1st Biennial Design Web Conference Global Interaction in Design Education (GLIDE ’08), October 22, in Troy, NY, USA and online. Won GLIDE ’08′s Best Paper Award.